Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Nathan's new challenge

Since Nathan's parent-teacher interview last week, I really tried to work with Nathan to find out the root of his problem. I now draw the conclusion that he gets frustrated when he is asked to write any opinion piece (i.e. journal, or like what is your favourite __________ and why type of questions) because he lacks the critical thinking skills to come up with what to write.

So here are some of the strategies that we have adapted:

1. Ask him to retell a story that he has read to help him to learn how to summarize.
2. Everyday, him and I will write each other a "secret note" stating the favourite thing that happened that day
3. Keeping a science journal. Since he likes science much, we decided to let me keep "facts" so that he can paraphrase and synthesize from all the information.

We are going to try to keep all learning fun and interesting!

And since we are doing all these with Nathan, of course Naomi has to have her own journal book as well. So as Nathan is writing the science facts on starfishes today, Naomi says "mommy I am going to write a poem." A poem? Does she know what a poem is? I guess she does, as she then took out the book "One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish" and copies out a few lines. Good job, cutie pie Naomi.


No comments: