Friday, August 29, 2014

Markham Museum summer camp 2014

Well, Markham museum is a nice facility.  I used to really like the museum munchkin camp.  (Half day camps at the old brown building in the basement.

Now that they are older, we are now attending camp at the new grey buildings. 

If you know how to read in between the lines, yes, I didn't like the camp this year. 

First of all, I felt that most of the councilors that I was dealing with were not very friendly (the most that I can say is they were polite...) I also found that they were not really good with dealing with the children.  As you also can see, Nathan and Naomi both got hurt pretty badly.  (Nathan was ran over by the councilor, while Naomi fell off the train and hurt her knee). 

Maybe I am biased, but through out their lives, NN can adapt and more importantly, can enjoy camps that they got sign up for.  (NN were involved in the decision when we were picking the camps, not just mommy picked.).  But this week when I picked them up, especially Nathan, their responses were very minimal.  "It's ok" were their comments. 

Finally, the camps were suppose to be science related.  (Nathan's camp was called science magic and Naomi's was little engineers).  Paper mache globe, hair gel art in ziplock bags, capture the flag, taping straws on a cardboard...... were hardly what I was expecting.  I know you also might think that I am asking for too much.  I really felt that it was a glorify babysitting service, which I felt that it was a little pricey.  (Markham museum as well as Markham library usually charge more for their day camps in comparison to other community programs).  I still remember Naomi went to another little engineering camp last year at the Thornhill Community Centre, which they had concept of the day (i.e. Pulley, levers, smoke engine, etc) and they were actually playing and spending time learning mechanical advantages.  She built cars, airplanes, engines, played with levers (She was able to tell me the classes of different levers).  Maybe next year we should really considered signing up programs at Thornhill CC again, even thou it's really far and Nathan get car sick from the ride....
I





No comments: