Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Summer read

Summer is the best time for reading. 

And for NN, we have been borrowing 50 to 60 books from the library regularly per week.  It's unbelievable seeing how quickly they are going through the books.  Nathan has always been a quick reader, but Naomi is also picking up the speed.  Say today, I just borrowed a My little Pony comic book from the library and she finished the whole comic book (she wasn't just looking at pictures, she was reading the words as well) within the time it took me to dry her hair. 

I am starting to read The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis with Naomi.  I am surprise by how much she is understanding it.  (I am reading it with her.)  We are only on the first book, and she seems to be enjoying it. Maybe later on I can encourage her to read this chapter book by herself.
 
Here are some books that I find Nathan really likes:   
Star Wars Jedi Academy by Jeffery Brown (Easy read yet fun)
Tom Angleberger books (An Origami Yoda book series)
Very interesting story line.  The best is it includes instructions to fold various Star Wars characters.  
The Origami Yoda Files: Boxed Set
Kazu Kibuishi (Amulet series)
The Stonekeeper (Amulet Series #1)
In terms of which library to go to, I still really enjoy going to the Unionville library.  And my new fav lately is the Markham Village library.  (Markham and Hwy 7).  I find that they have more selections of children books there, and there are more books available for borrow.  (It isn't fun when you visit a library and you find majority of the shelfs empty, or that you have read most of the books there.)  

And we also regularly reserve books from the library.  Lately I have been using the "explore" function where you can use advance search and pick books that are "new and popular".  I now usually pick books that are within 180 days of arriving the library, for these books are usually in much better conditions than some of the books that you find on the shelf. 

No comments: